When a person lands on an error page, they feel overwhelmed and annoyed. Page 404 tells us that we failed. But everything can be fixed, and the user can be returned to the site unscathed. We will tell you how to do this with examples.
A 404 page is an unsuccessful attempt to open something on the web. This is an automatic page that opens if the requested site is not found.
Usually this error occurs when a person enters an incorrect website address or follows a non-existent link (for example, you deleted an old link, but it remained in the search indexing and the person clicked).
A 404 page can appear on any site because it cannot be completely controlled.
Why do you need a 404 page
It seems you can and do without your own error page design-what’s the problem?
In fact, everyone needs a 404 page, and here’s why:
- You can not avoid all accidental mistakes – the user can make a mistake and enter a different address, not finding what he was looking for and leave. In this way, you will lose a potential customer.
- When the site already has a lot of pages, it is difficult to track all addresses: somewhere they could have changed the address to improve SEO, a section has been deleted, but it is still indexed in the search.
- When you have a lot of unformatted 404 pages from which users cannot access the homepage or other sections, your site’s organic search ranking decreases. So thinking about the design of your 404 page is good for SEO.
Creating a 404 page design is a humane way to talk to your user and bring them back to the site.
404 Page creation techniques: things to remember
Explain to the visitor what is happening.
You can reduce the anxiety of the person accessing page 404 by explaining how this could have happened. You can list the reasons (for example, the link is outdated and was removed from the site, or an error was made in the address bar), as well as make a link to the main site or the ability to exit the menu .
Have fun and make you laugh.
The goal of a 404 page design is to reduce the frustration of your audience, try to distract people from feeling lost. Pictures, videos, animations, especially the most fun ones, do it very well.
The tone of the message on the error page depends on your brand positioning, but a little humor never hurts.
Return the user to the site.
The humor and the pretty pictures are great. But do not forget that you need to quickly return the visitor from page 404 to the site. Give him the opportunity to do this, put contacts, a menu and a link to the main page or blog.
Keep your style.
A 404 page is part of your site, so it should be designed in the style of your brand. This applies to colors, typography and all content.
The best way to prevent a user from accessing a 404 page is to constantly check for broken links on the site. If once a month to check lost items, videos, images and so on, your users will be less exposed to the 404 page.
- Do Google and Yandex have free services for webmasters to help find broken links.
How to correctly create a 404 error page
- Customize the style: add an error message and the desired content – for example, a link to the main image or a funny illustration.
- Go to Site Settings > More > Page 404. Select the page you created and save it in the list.
Do not set address / 404 – Tilda standard error will appear
For 404 to work, you need to repost all pages on your site.
What information should be placed on page 404?
You can tell your visitors how they ended up on a 404 error page and why. And You may want to link to your home page so that the visitor returns and continues to interact with your business. You can place a menu or search for a person to choose and find where to go next.
What blocks can I use to create a 404 page?
The choice of blocks depends on the goals of your error page. It can be a block with an image and a title, or just an image, it can be a video, or a zero block if you want to let your design imagination run wild.
Draw a prototype for a 404 page-get inspiration from examples, write text, choose a picture. And then, for your tasks, select the necessary blocks in the Tilda library. One-screen site templates can be used, for example, Tilda templates for contacts are fine . If the site uses a header with a menu, then you already have a link to the main page and access to other sections of the site.
What should my page 404 look like?
There is no limit to perfection. Like any other page on the web, style your 404 to reflect the style of your business and your site as a whole. Be creative and have fun, the error page can be dropped.